So what do you when you’re tired of your anger getting the best of you, and it gets in the way of the kind of life you really want for yourself? I believe the answer is found in learning to deal with anger in a healthy and productive way.
What are some of the ways you can do this?
- Pay attention to what you are feeling, and notice when you begin to feel very upset
- Be conscious about your internal dialogue and try to think positive, instead of negative thoughts about the situation and the people that might be involved.
- Give yourself permission to take a ‘breather’ or a ‘time out’, so you have time to calm down
- Minimize your exposure to the people/situations that are making you angry (if that’s possible)
- Peel back the layers and ask yourselves ‘what else is going on?’
- Talk to someone who can help you calm down or better understand the situation
These are just a few ideas as to what you can do to help yourself manage your anger a little better. The point to always remember is that feeling angry is a natural part of the human experience, so don’t become disappointed or upset with yourself when you feel anger. Instead focus on managing your feelings in such a way that what you ‘do’ with those feelings doesn’t become a problem or an even bigger issue for you in the future.